Pages

3.09.2015

Fight Thinning Hair!

My hair has always been fine (not thick), but within the last few months my hair has been thinning (falling out), and that is just not ok with me!
via
The first step I took to stop this madness was scheduling a visit with my doctor. I told her my concerns and she ordered blood work. It turned out that I had low levels of Vitamin D and Iron. I began taking supplements, and adding foods with vitamin D and iron into my diet more often. I eat fish and eggs for vitamin D. I also eat beef, chicken, turkey, spinach, beans, nuts and seeds for iron.
Next, I made a trip to the hair salon. My stylist noticed my hair loss as well, so we tried several things to help make my hair appear fuller/thicker. What ultimately worked for me was cutting my hair short (a pixie worked best for me, but a bob is a good option, too). My stylist then added dimension with heavy highlights, and a few lowlights throughout. I also started taking Hair Skin & Nails.
via
I looked into Women's Rogaine and felt like it wasn't a good option for me. First, because I have very sensitive skin, I feared that I would have a bad reaction. Second, I looked at the label on their foam product and saw that it said, "Continuous use of Women's Rogaine Foam is needed to maintain hair regrowth. if you stop using Women's Rogaine Foam, the normal hair loss process will start again. You will probably lose your newly regrown hair in three to four months." The directions said to use the product once daily. A four-month supply from Walmart costs $43. That is only $130 a year, which isn't horrible, but it is $130 a year, for the rest of your life (or until you don't care about hair loss anymore). At this time, I am not interested in this particular product. However, that does not mean that this product doesn't work, or isn't a good option. You can read some customer reviews here.
via
After working on raising my vitamin D and iron levels, I noticed that my hair was no longer falling out an abnormal amount. On the other hand, I did not see any regrowth, which was very discouraging. Therefore, I continued to research information on how to reverse hair loss. I came across some natural remedies on the Dr. Axe - Food Is Medicine site. You can read all of his advice on fighting hair loss here. Due to having polycystic ovarian syndrome, I decided to heed his advice and start taking a combination Ashwagandha-Rhodiola-Holy Basil supplement, as well as Saw Palmetto, to help balance out my hormones. It has only been a few weeks, so I don't have any significant results yet. I can say that I haven't seen any negative side effects, though (yay)!
Another tip I saw on several different sites was to massage rosemary oil onto your scalp. Once a week, I mix 2 T. of coconut oil with 10-20 drops of rosemary essential oil and massage it onto my scalp for 5 minutes (holding your head upside down as much as possible). I let the oil sit on my head for another 25 minutes, and then I wash it out with shampoo and conditioner. While I haven't seen amazing-ly crazy results from doing this, I am able to see a few new hairs sprouting up. They started showing within the same time frame that I began doing this! 
via
Lastly, I recently read an article about the benefits of gelatin. I will be purchasing some gelatin capsules in the near future, and I will update as soon as I see some results (good or bad). As always, use caution when taking any supplement, and always check with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns when it comes to supplements of all types. 

No comments:

Post a Comment